For Single recipe
- 4 medium semi-tart apples, pared, cored, and cut into fourths
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup brown sugar or 2 tablespoons white sugar (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
For Double recipe
- 8 medium semi-tart apples, skinned, cored, and cut into fourths
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup brown sugar (optional) or ¼ cup white sugar (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pare, core, and quarter apples.
- Heat apples and water to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat.
- Simmer apples, uncovered, stirring occasionally to break up the apples, until tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- For a chunky applesauce break up apples with a spoon.
- For a smooth applesauce, use a potato masher to break up the apples.
- Taste the applesauce and determine if you would like to add sugar.
- If you like your applesauce sweet, stir in the optional brown or white sugar.
- Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Heat to boiling; boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Cool and serve.