Spicy Black Bean Burgers
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained, and coarsely mashed
Eggs and Sour Cream:
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ grated onion
- ½ grated zucchini
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Masa Harina and Spices:
- ½ cup masa harina
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspon ancho chile powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash red cayenne pepper
- 1 recipe freshly made Salsa Roja or store bought salsa of your choice
- 1 recipe of Guacamole
- Thinly sliced cabbage
Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a colander, rinse and drain the black beans; transfer beans to a large mixing bowl.
- Coarsely mash the black beans.
- Add and mix in egg and sour cream.
- Mix in the grated onion, zucchini, jalapeño pepper, garlic, and cilantro.
- Add cheddar cheese and toss to incorporate.
- In a small bowl, whisk the masa harina with the spices.
- Add masa harina and spice mixture to the black bean mixture and incorporate with a large spoon.
- Form black bean mixture into 6 large cakes, approximately 4-inches in diameter and ½-inch thick.
- Place on lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning midway through.
- Serve on buns with Salsa Roja, Guacamole, and shredded cabbage.