- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 small, firm, ripe tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ small red onion, finely chopped (you can substitute a white or yellow onion)
- ¼ jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large ripe avocado or 2 small avocados; skin, remove pit, and mash
Seed and chop tomato.
- Chop onion, jalapeño pepper, and cilantro; set aside.
- Extract the juice of a fresh lemon and a fresh lime and set aside.
- Peel the avocado(s), cut in half, and remove pit.
- Coarsely mash the avocado with a potato masher or a large fork.
- Using a spatula, scoop the mashed avocado into a small serving bowl.
- Add the onion, cilantro, tomato, and jalapeño pepper to the serving bowl.
- Add salt, lime juice, and lemon juice to the bowl.
- Mix and serve.
Recipe from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).