Broccoli and Pea Salad
- 4 slices of bacon, fried until crisp and then crumbled into small pieces
- 1 head of broccoli
- 8 ounces frozen green peas (1½ cups), cooked and drained
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup slivered almonds (optional)
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2½ teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poppyseeds
Cook bacon and place on a paper towel to cool.
- Cook peas, drain and set aside to cool.
- Crumble bacon into small pieces; set aside.
- Remove broccoli florets from the stem.
- Divide florets into small bite-sized pieces.
- Peel the broccoli stems (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems). Slice the stems into very thin rounds
- Chop onion and set aside.
- Place broccoli florets and stems, peas, and onion in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add bacon and optional slivered almonds to the bowl.
- Mix vegetables and bacon together.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour dressing over the ingredients in the bowl.
- Toss to mix.