Italian Marinara Sauce
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped, or one 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes, with juice
- ⅓ cup virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- ½ a small onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 sprigs fresh basil, or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
Click here for instructions on how to peel a tomato.
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Pulse until tomatoes, garlic, and onion are coarsely chopped up.
- Pour sauce into a saucepan. Simmer until sauce is thickened, 10 to 20 minutes.
Recipe from Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker. New York: Scribner (1997).