Pumpkin Molasses Cake
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Baking time: 30 minutes
- Cooling time: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Ingredients to Cream:
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
Preheat oven to 350°.
- For 2 layer cake grease and flour two 9-inch pans. Click here for how to prepare cake pans for baking. For rectangular cake grease and flour a 13x9x2 oblong pan.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy, about 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar. Beat on high speed for 1 minute until butter and sugar are well combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating 1 minute after each.
- In a small bowl mix together the buttermilk, pumpkin, molasses, and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture alternately to beaten mixture, beating after each addition.
- Once all ingredients are mixed together, beat on medium high speed, scraping bowl occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Cake is done when it springs back from a light touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If you are making two 9-inch round cakes bake 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on a rack for exactly 10 minutes. Click on this link to see how to remove cakes from pans. Cool completely on a rack before frosting.
- If you are making an oblong cake bake 30 to 40 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before frosting.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting.
- If you are making a layer cake click on this link for instructions on frosting a layer cake.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, Des Moines: Meridith Corporation (1981).