Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
For Single Recipe
(Frosts a two layer 8 or 9-inch cake)
- 3 ounces cream cheese; softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
For Half recipe
(Frosts a one layer 8 or 9-inch cake)
- 1½ ounces cream cheese; softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth (do not over beat).
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.
- Mix until fluffy and thin enough to spread over cake.
- If necessary, stir in additional milk a teaspoon at a time to achieve optimal spreading consistency.
Recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. New York: Golden Press (1980).