- Dry rub time: 2 to 3 hours
- Cooking time: 40 to 50 minutes
- Total time: Approximately 3 to 4 hours
- 1 whole fryer chicken, cut into separate pieces (or any combination of chicken parts you like)
- 1 recipe dry rub
- 1 recipe homemade barbecue sauce or store bought barbecue sauce of your choice
2 to 3 hours before barbecuing apply dry rub to all surfaces of meat. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Preheat grill on direct high heat.
- Turn off middle burner and turn heat down to medium-low on remaining two burners.
- Place chicken meat side down in the center of the grill so that it is not over direct heat.
- Close lid and cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, turn chicken meat side up keeping it in the center of the grill and cook for another 25 minutes.
- Total cooking time should be 40 to 50 minutes depending on the amount of chicken on the grill and the size of the chicken breasts.
- Baste the chicken with barbecue sauce 10 minutes before you remove the chicken from the grill.