- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- Ungreased 2-quart casserole dish
- 4 cups fresh peaches, pitted and thinly sliced (leave skins on) (4 to 6 peaches)
Dry ingredients to add to peaches:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Lemon to add to peach mixture:
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Dry Ingredients for Topping:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
Butter to cut in:
- 4 tablespoons butter (½ of a stick)
Moist Ingredients for topping:
Optional Toppings to Serve With Cobbler:
Preheat oven to 400°.
- Pour sliced peaches into a large bowl
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add brown sugar mixture to peaches; stir to coat peaches.
- Sprinkle peaches with lemon juice and mix gently.
- Pour peach mixture into an ungreased 2-quart casserole; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture.
- Stir buttermilk into flour and butter mixture.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto the peach mixture.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown; 25 to 30 minutes.