- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Refrigeration time: 1 hour or overnight
Pumpkin, Vanilla, Spices:
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash salt
Cornstarch and Sugar:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons sugar
Milk and Egg:
In a medium bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, vanilla, and spices; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and egg; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together sugar and cornstarch.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the saucepan.
- Whisk the milk and cornstarch mixture over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to pan, whisking constantly until blended.
- Return pan to low heat and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, transfer to serving dishes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to chill for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
- For an optional garnish, top with a teaspoon of candied and spicy butternut squash.