Ingredients to Sauté:
- 8 tablespoons butter, 1 stick
- 1 onion, finely chopped
Additional Vegetables to Sauté:
- 1 head cauliflower, separated into small florets
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 medium red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 8 mushrooms, sliced (optional)
Ingredients to Add to Pot:
- 8- ounces frozen corn (1 cup)
- 8- ounces frozen cut green beans (1 cup)
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon crushed basil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed marjoram
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 cups chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth if you are vegetarian)
- 1 head broccoli, separated into small florets. Peel stem and slice (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems).
- ½ cup flour mixed with enough water to make a thick paste (¾ cup water is about the right amount)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients to Add Last 5 Minutes:
- One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- ½ cup shredded mild white cheese of your choice such as Gruyere or Parmigiano Reggiano (optional).
Melt butter in a Dutch oven.
- Add onion and sauté until tender; 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, zucchini, potatoes, and mushroom and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add corn, green beans, lemon zest, basil, pepper, marjoram, and lemon juice to the pot.
- Stir in broth.
- Bring to boil; turn down heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli and broccoli stems (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems). Cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Gently whisk in flour mixture.
- Stir soup until it begins to thicken. If it doesn't thicken up, make more flour mixture and whisk 1 tablespoon at a time into the pot, until it begins to thicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Stir in evaporated milk and cheese.