- Sponge: 1 to 2 days in advance
- Dough rising time: 1½ hours
- Pizza prep and assembly: 20 minutes
- Pizza baking time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- ½ pound Canadian bacon
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup homemade barbecue sauce or store bought barbecue sauce of your choice
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 pound grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, optional
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 yellow or red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 firm ripe tomato, seeded and finely chopped.
If you prefer a homemade pizza crust, prepare pizza dough 1 to 2 days in advance of making pizza.
- Preheat oven to 400°. If you have a convection oven, use the convection bake setting at 375°.
- Fry bacon in a pan, let cool, crumble into small pieces and place in a medium-sized bowl.
- Remove 1 tablespoon of grease from pan and set aside.
- Chop Canadian bacon into small pieces.
- Add Canadian bacon to pan and fry for 1 to 2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add to bowl with chopped bacon.
- Place chopped chicken breast in pan along with the tablespoon of grease that you set aside earlier.
- Add minced garlic and fry for a few minutes.
- Add chicken to bowl with bacon.
- Add barbecue sauce and mayonnaise and mix thoroughly.
- Set meat mixture aside.
- Lightly dust another work surface with cornmeal.
- Punch down the dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Knead dough for 30 seconds.
- Split the dough into two equal halves and place on the cornmeal dusted work surface.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Place each piece of dough directly in the center of a piece of parchment paper.
- Beginning in the center of each dough ball use the palm of your hand to gently press each ball into a 14-inch round.
- Get out one 16-inch pizza pan.
- Slide the pizza pan under one of the pizza rounds.
- Note that the pizza round and the parchment will both end up on top of the pizza pan.
- Spread half of the pizza sauce (approximately ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons) over the dough. If you like a lot of sauce on your pizza add more according to your tastes.
- Sprinkle ½ of grated cheese mixture over the sauce.
- Add ½ of meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with ½ of the chopped onion and ½ of the chopped pepper.
- Roll the second pizza dough round up in the parchment paper it is resting on.
- Unroll the pizza dough face down on top of the first round. Discard the piece of parchment paper it was rolled up in.
- Fold the outside edge of the bottom crust over the outside edge of the top crust and press edges together.
- Spread with remaining pizza sauce.
- Add remainder of meat mixture.
- Add remainder of onion and pepper.
- Cover with remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle chopped tomato over cheese.
- Place the pizza pan with the parchment paper and pizza pie on it into the oven.
- Bake the pie for approximately 25-30 minutes. Pizza is done when the top crust and underside of bottom crust are golden brown.
- Cool for 15 minutes, cut and serve.