Chinese Stir Fry with Pork
- Preparing Vegetables: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons safflower oil (or any oil that does well with high heat)
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 yellow or red pepper, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, separated into small florets. Peel stem and slice (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems).
- One 15-ounce can baby corn, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or rice wine
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (½ of a lime)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- One 6-ounce package of soba noodles, cooked and drained
- Steamed Rice
Heat oil in a wok on medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until begins to soften and become golden in color.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Add garlic, carrots, baby corn, broccoli stems (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems), and yellow or red pepper.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Toss in broccoli florets and optional sliced mushrooms.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes with wok lid on, or until broccoli is just barely tender.
- Add pork.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the stir fry sauce.
- Toss ingredients in wok bowl and then cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- If you are making stir fry with soba noodles, add the cooked noodles and remaining stir fry sauce to the wok, mix in and serve.
- If you are serving stir fry on steamed rice, cook stir fry as directed above, adding all of remaining stir fry sauce to cooked chicken and vegetables. Skip steps for noodles. Serve stir fry with steamed rice.