Italian Veggie Toss
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 yellow or red pepper, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, separated into small florets
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 head broccoli, separated into small florets. Peel stem and slice (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems).
- 1 tablespoon crushed basil (or ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- One 16-ounce bag fusilli pasta (or pasta of your choice) cooked as directed
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)
Heat oil in a wok on medium-high heat.
- Add onion, yellow or red pepper, and cauliflower.
- Sauté until onion is light golden brown; about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, zucchini, and garlic to wok; cook for 1 minute.
- Add broccoli florets and broccoli stems (see my techniques page on how to peel broccoli stems).
- Add basil, salt, and pepper.
- Turn heat down to medium-low, cover wok and let the vegetables cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is almost tender.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato paste and water.
- Add the tomato paste and water mixture to the wok and mix with vegetables. Cook until heated through.
- Serve over fusilli pasta.
- Sprinkle with optional Parmesan cheese.