Partially Cooked Bone In Ham
- Baking time: 20 minutes per pound
- ½ ham at 3 pounds: 1 hour
- Whole ham at 6 pounds: 2 hours
Preheat oven to 325°. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Allow 20 minutes per pound when calculating how long to bake the ham. For example, if the ham weighs 6 pounds, the cooking time would be 2 hours.
- Place the ham in a shallow roasting pan.
- With the tip of a sharp knife, score the top of the ham from left to right and then right to left to make a crosshatch (diamond) pattern. This will give the ham a crisp crust.
- Using a toothpick, make a hole in the center of each diamond of the crosshatch and insert a whole clove.
- Once you have determined your baking time, plan to brush on the glaze for baked ham 45 minutes before the ham is finished baking.
- A partially cooked ham is done when the a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat reads 160°.
- When the ham is done, remove from the oven to a platter, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remember that the internal temperature of the meat will rise 5° while it is resting.
- Remove the whole cloves from the ham.
- Carve and serve.